MOVING HOUSE CHECKLIST
Moving home can be a real challenge, but if you follow these simple steps you may find it a whole lot easier.
BEFORE THE MOVE …
- Book a moving company, or if you are moving yourself, book a rental truck or trailer.
- Prepare an inventory of everything you will be taking with you
- If relocating long distance, give notice at jobs and schools. Also book travel arrangements.
- Confirm new school and childcare places if they have been pre-arranged. If not, explore the options.
- Talk to your children about the move.
- Compile the contact details of friends, family members and collegues.
- Let the relevant people/organisations know that you are moving.
- Give notice to your landlord or agent, if you are in rented accommodation.
- Organise boxes and packing materials.
- Start using all food items in the fridge and freezer.
- Check your insurance to make sure your goods will be covered during the move.
- Have a plan to pack one room at a time, leaving only the essential items until the last week. State clearly what is in each box and where the contents need to go. Eg master bedroom, garage.
- Throw out what you don’t need or donate them to charity. Also pay attention to any flammable products such as paint, turpentine, as these sort of products are not allowed to be stored or transported by removal companies.
- Keep important documents such as; receipts, bank statements and final bills in one place.
- Arrange to have the fuel from your lawnmower, weed eater etc drained.
- Look at the options for moving pets and plants.
- Arrange utility disconnections and reconnections.
- Organise to have your mail redirected with New Zealand Post. www.nzpost.co.nz
- Clean and defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Before you pack away your computer, back up all the files.
- Prepare the stereo, DVD player and white goods for packing.
- Collect the keys for your new home.
ON THE MOVING DAY…
- If moving yourself, collect the rental truck on time.
- If using a moving company, make sure the driver has your correct mobile number and delivery address.
- Dispose of food, empty bins and leave the place neat and tidy.
- Check that nothing belonging to you is left behind.
- Make sure you have all valuables, food, essential items with you.
- Read meters to make sure that you won’t be overcharged on any utility bills.
- Leave your contact details for the new owner/tenant.
- Make sure that the property is secure, all lights turned off, hot water system, gas meter, electricity switchboard all turned off.
- Leave the keys with the appropriate person or agency.
AT YOUR NEW HOME…
- Double check that everything on the property is in order and meets the terms of your purchase contact or tenancy agreement.
- Check that the electricity, gas, hot water and telephone connections have been switched on.
- As you begin the unpacking process, check for missing items and damages.
- Check security, if you are concerned, arrange to have the locks changed or install an alarm. www.adtsecurity.co.nz
- Ensure that the smoke alarm is working, or have one installed.
- Update your electoral enrolment details to ensure that you are correctly enrolled to vote- go to www.elections.org.nz to enroll or update your address Free text your name and address to 36 76 or call 0800 36 76 56 for an enrolment form.
- Introduce yourself to the neighbours.