Before you move:
- Are you buying an already accessible house or will you be doing adaptations?
- Are there sufficient disability services available in the area?
- Will you be able to meet the additional costs of support/care assistants or transport?
- Can you Transfer any services you currently receive (e.g. specialist health or education support)
- Can you meet additional costs e.g. support/care assistants or transport costs.
Ensure you write up a thorough moving plan enabling you to:
- Keep track of everything you need to do
- Pre organise any services you may need
- Let friends and relatives know that you are moving
Check out the new area:
- If you’re moving to a new area you might like to get another disabled person’s perspective about what it’s like to live there. ‘Centers for Independent Living’ are small independent organisations run by disabled people; they can offer expert advice and support about the disability services available in your local area.